Sunday, June 25, 2006

Open Registration Thoughts

I popped over to the birthday sim the other day and smack into the middle of a town hall meeting with Philip Linden. The issue of the day was the new open registration.

Personally, I am worried about this too. Mainly because of the age issue. If you take away the safeguard for keeping kids out of the main grid, then I think that opens up LL to a big liability. I'm not convinced that they will be able to keep kids out. And I think that in general, the Lindens are rather naive about the graphic sexual nature of SL. I don't know, we'll see what happens.

I also wonder if we'll see more content creators in developing countries. Which will be interesting. If someone in South East Asia has access to the software and some talent, they could easily become the next big dress designer. And like any global competition, they will be able to produce things cheaper. Or script cheaper. Or build cheaper.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing . . . it will just be very interesting.

Time to get off the computer soon, I think my wrist needs a rest day. (I have had issues with carpal tunnel for years.)

No comments: